Analysis

Analysis of a challenging yet rewarding project completed last year during my college course. The end result of my project didn’t truly come as a surprise, as I allowed myself to develop organically and freely around my statement of intent from earlier in the year. The premise of my statement, did however, seem to become something that I would later challenge and almost counteract. The final piece is more or less a mockery of what I set out to achieve. (Project concept outlined in previous post [college review]). My original intention was to challenge one of the many issues highlighted in the project concept. In the end, my work has reflected this intention, but in an exaggerated manner. Along with an extra concept that I still find incredibly interesting, negative space. Instead of creating simply an enclosed space within an existing structure, I designed an eccentric, stand-alone property, which shares its footprint with a much larger area of ‘breathing space’. I believe that this very simple concept of immersing yourself in green space could be the answer to many of the problems I highlighted in my statement of intent.

Early on in my research I was reading through some RIBA documents and noticed a reference to the UK’s “2020 targets”, something that I was not aware of which regarded property and housing. Figures for employment, R&D/innovation, climate change/energy, education and poverty/social exclusion, all of which work to save money to the public purse and improve the places we live, work and play in the long term. Research continued throughout the project and shaped the way I worked and what I produced. Notably going to the Tate Modern in London, and seeing the collection of photographs of water towers by Bernd and Hilla Becher inspired me to use the general shape of said water towers for the final piece. The techniques and processes I imagined would feature did so as expected, however using a parallel motion board and various other pieces of equipment for scale drawings did come as a pleasant surprise. Furthermore, the range of materials and equipment I needed in the workshops was unexpected due to the complexity of my designs. I have found that it is very easy to work with straight parallel lines and right angles, rather than strange 3D trapezium shapes.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s