Producing a ‘dirty model’ is an effective and rewarding process, which assists significantly in understanding the basics of a problem, initial ergonomic issues and subsequently, the fundamental elements of an idea.
Having chosen from a number of designs I made in SketchUp, I needed to make a model of the design to see it in physical dimensions. I started with a scale drawing, but encountered many problems due to the limited number of known quantities. It soon became apparent that making a dirty model would give me a basic understanding of the heights of each section, quickly.
I dug out my old Lego and built the basic shape, marked out the outline and cut away the excess.
(10 points to anyone who can tell me the fault in this model after being cut.)